October 6th, 2007, 21:16 Posted By: bandit
WiiKey Modchip (DMS/D2A/D2B)
Site: Buy from Mod-Chip
Overview : The amazing WiiKey Mod Chip for the Nintendo Wii has arrived! The WiiKey is possibly the easiest modchip to install on any system. A quicksolder pattern on the PCB board removes the need for wires. All you need to do us solder onto the designated parts and the installation is complete.
Not only is the WiiKey easy to install, but this ModChip also has amazing features including Stealth Mode, the ability to play both WII and Gamecube backups, GameCube homebrew and imports. The WiiKey also has an optional LED to let you know when the Mod Chip is ON or OFF.
Quality/Usability : WiiKey is probably one of the most well known modchips for the Wii. Its so popular that there is even a clone of it. To prevent confusion, WiiKey tried to think of ways to inform buyers that what they are buying is legit and the real deal. Their solution was a hologram sticker. But this didnt stop some buyers as the clones also worked the same as the real WiiKey.
- Direct boot of wii backups
- Direct boot of GC backups
- Direct boot of homebrew in GC mode
- Supports all currently available console/drive versions
- Supports D2B chipsets
- Sophisticated (true) update mechanism via DVD (future proof, expect cool features to come)
- Direct boot of different NTSC region Wii games/backups on US and JAP consoles
- Partial support for NTSC region Wii games/backups on PAL consoles
- Boots different region GC games/backups (partially without swapping)
- Supports multi-disc games for BOTH Wii and Gamecube
- Supports DVD-R / true DVD+R and +RW support (no bitsetting required!)
- Improved readsettings for recordable media
- Built-in audio fix
- Supports fullsize 4GB discs for gamecube homebrew
- Stealth mode
- 512 byte EEPROM to store configuration
- Quicksolder interface - no wires required
- Unique disc backup application via sdcard
- Compact design, best quality components, rock solid high speed controller
- Professional ESD packing
- Recovery mode - Can recover from a bad flash
This review is based on a North American (NTSC-US) Wii. All games tested during this review, we own the original games. This modchip is only compatible with Wii's that have a DMS, D2A or D2B chipset. This will NOT work on a D2C chipset.
Installation : You can find installation manual at WiiKey's Resource page. The Resource page also includes setup discs, recovery disc and the much anticipated firmware update disc which I will get to later.
In order to install the CycloWiz onto your Wii, you must take it apart. Here is a tutorial on how to dismantle your Wii. You can also find other tutorials or even videos on the web.
Like all other modchips that requiring soldering, you must dismantle the Wii. The WiiKey also allows you to either install via quick solder or wire method (the latter method is preferred as you can remove the chip easily). Once you have dismantled the Wii, you must locate the points outlined in their installation manual. These points are where you will connect the soldering between the Wii and the WiiKey. When soldering, you must remember to stay within the points and not to use too much solder or you may risk shorting out the chip as well as the Wii.
After installing the WiiKey, you must run the WiiKey configuration disc which can be download from WiiKey.
Wii Compatibility : After running the configuration disc, its time to test out games. With some modchips that we reviewed, there were some games that gave the DRE (Disc Read Error), but taking that same disc and trying it on the WiiKey worked and booted up perfectly. But there were some that didnt work.
Homebrew Compatibility : Unfortunately, I wasnt able to try the homebrew out.
Conclusion : Overall, WiiKey modchip came through and worked. The ability to load games had a higher success rate than majority of the Wii modchips on the market. Not to mention, its one of, if not the smallest Wii modchip on the market!
1.9b Firmware Upgrade Disc
Now, remember when I talked about the WiiKey update disc? Well, WiiKey was suppose to release this upgrade a long long long time ago but kept delaying it. They would give a release date and would delay it for whatever reason. This would annoy and piss of WiiKey users and even other gaming sites for the lack of actually following through on their word and releasing. Some speculated that WiiKey was a flake or lying. Some even thought they were trying to combat the clones and trying to figure out how to get the upgrade disc to only work on genuine chips and possibly brick Wii's that have clones installed..but of course, all this was a rumor.
There was a leak of the supposed upgrade disc but it was a beta. Eventually, after further testing, WiiKey decided to make it an official release as it was stable enough and worked as it should. The following is what was added to 1.9b
To get GameCube full-regionfree feature on 1.9b firmware, you'll need to download Configuration Disc 1.3
- audiofix fixed
- dual layer support (no bitsetting required)
- improved media support (all supported chipsets)
- full Gamecube regionfree (no-swap/video setup)
- various "smaller" improvements/fixes
- workaround for FW 3.0 gameid limitation
- (existing wkb 1.2 discs will boot again)
- "on the fly" settings for gc games (by holding buttons)
- toggle audiofix, diskspeed, force NTSC/PAL
Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.
Images via comments
For more information and downloads, click here!
There are 7 comments - Join In and Discuss Here