July 18th, 2007, 17:00 Posted By: bandit
CycloDS Evolution Cartridge SLOT-1
Manufacturer: Team Cyclops
Site: Buy from Homebrew Dev / Buy from VolumeRate
Overview : CycloDS Evolution is a multi-functional Micro SD adapter for NDS and NDS Lite (Slot 1) which allows you to play games, listen to MP3's, view images, read e-books and enjoy the vast collection of homebrew applications for NDS. You can also take advantage of the inbuilt cheat code system to enjoy more freedom with your favourite games.
CycloDS Evolution is the world’s most advanced Media Enhancer for NDS Lite and NDS. Boasting superior functionality, European design and quality components, CycloDS Evolution is unparalleled in its field.
The unique enhanced mode offers powerful, unique features during game play which are activated through an in-game menu. These features include in-game LCD brightness adjustment, SlowMotion mode and in-game reset. The cheat code engine is directly compatible with Action Replay codes and CycloDS Evolution comes bundled with cheat codes for over 300 games so you can get started right away without any fuss.
CycloDS Evolution’s inbuilt OS can run commercial ROM’s and homebrew software without the need for any patching on the users part. ROM loading is fast and trouble free, simply browse to the game you want to play and tap to execute. You don’t even need to apply DLDI patches to your homebrew software; CycloDS Evolution takes care of this for you with its automatic DLDI patching feature.
Evolution loads media from MicroSD cards, which means you’re free to buy more memory at any time, never constrained by the boundaries of onboard flash memory. Transferring games and homebrew software is simple using the supplied MicroSD USB reader. Simply connect to your PC and drag & drop the desired files onto your MicroSD card.
Listen to MP3’s, watch videos or even read e-books via Moonshell. The Moonshell multimedia application will maximize the versatility of your handheld console.
The CycloDS Evolution GUI was designed with user friendliness in mind and can be operated exclusively with the stylus if desired. Skinning is supported which means you’ll always have a fresh view of our product at your fingertips. The user interface is multi-lingual, currently supporting the following languages: English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Spanish, Latin American Spanish and Portuguese.
Game sharing is painless with CycloDS Evolution. Unlike most other devices on the market, CycloDS Evolution supports single card download play even with trouble games such as Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros.
CycloDS Evolution comes from the creators of the world renowned CycloWiz - the first ever upgradeable Wii modchip. We surprised many by doing things the critics thought impossible, now we’re back on DS for more firsts.
Quality/Usability : The CycloDS Evolution comes in a metal tin box. Usually all other flash carts arrive in a box with a inner plastic box that holds the USB device, flash cart, and sometimes a case depending what product it is. Upon opening the cover of the tin case, it is inlaid with padded foam. Inside you'll find the CycloDS Evolution and USB card reader/writer. There is no manual or software CD but there is some information on the back of the tin and you can download software files from www.CyclopsDS.com or from linFox Domain.
- Completely plug & play - no FlashMe, PassMe or PC software required
- 100% game compatibility, supports clean ROM's - works on any OS
- Full NDS download play support, including problem games such as Mario Kart DS
- Action Replay compatible cheat code engine, comes bundled with cheat codes for over 300 games!
- Uses MicroSD card, both FAT16 and FAT32 supported
- Supports the MicroSDHC specification, allowing for high capacity memory cards
- Save type is automatically detected, no need for a save type database
- Save directly to MicroSD rather than onboard flash
- User friendly, easily skinnable interface. Both touch screen and button operation supported
- Multi-lingual user interface
- "Enhanced Mode" which provides powerful, unique features during game play. Enhanced features are activated through an in-game menu. Enhanced mode features include:
- Adjust LCD brightness during game play (NDSLite only)
- SlowMotion mode which can be used to slow down game play to make fast paced action sequences easier to master
- Return to CycloDS Evolution Menu (aka soft reset)
- More features to come!
- Excellent homebrew compatibility thanks to the DLDI auto-patcher
- 2 megabytes of onboard flash memory which contains the CycloDS Evolution OS and will be utilised in the future to add exciting new features. A recovery mode is also included.
- Autoboot mode which when activated will directly boot into the last ROM or homebrew application executed
- Moonshell included to provide media playing functionality
- PassMe function (boot from slot 2)
- Supports rumble and memory expansions
The CycloDS Evolution is the same size as the original DS cartridges as well as other flash carts on the market. The white shell casing has a semi-transparency to it. On the front of the CycloDS Evolution, you can see slightly that the chip on the PCB board protrudes. Not really noticeable but you can see it if you held the CycloDS Evolution in a certain angle. Unlike some flash carts on the market, there is no spring loaded mechanism for the microSD. So when you want to take out the microSD, instead of pushing in and having the card pop out, you'll have to manually pull it out. To some, this is good and to others, bad.
Setting up files is very easy. You'll need a microSD or microSDHC (high capacity) and of course, CycloDS Evolution with USB card reader/writer. All you have to do is just download the files from any of the links mentioned above, insert your microSD into the card reader and plug the card reader into the USB port of your computer. You computer will then recognize it automatically.
Transferring of files is just a simple drag and drop process. Its best to make folders to help organize things better. DS for your DS roms, GBA for your GBA roms (EZFlash 3 in 1 Expansion Pack required - Review coming soon), Homebrew for all your homebrew needs and so on.
Once all files are on the microSD, just insert the card into the CycloDS Evolution and insert the CycloDS Evolution into your DS. If there is an updated firmware, updating is easy. Just download the latest update, copy onto microSD and when inserted into your DS, you will be prompted with a message asking if you would like to upgrade. Updating doesnt take long.
The GUI Menu is very simple to understand and to navigate. When you boot the CycloDS Evolution, a progress bar will appear. and will take you to the menu. You can use your stylus or buttons to select your options. There are three icons when you first boot up CycloDS Evolution.
Games - This allows you to boot all your games and homebrew
Media - This allows you to start Moonshell for all your multimedia purposes
Settings - This allows you to configure the CycloDS Evolution settings and features.
Some new features that CycloDS Evolution has to offer are as follows:
CycloDS Evolution Menu Options:
CycloDS Evolution In-Game Menu Options:
- Enhanced Mode – This is where you can enable or disable the mode.
- Cheat Codes – This is where you can enable to disable the use of Action Replay codes. There are about 300 codes built-in but at the time of this review, you are unable to add your own or import any codes.
- LCD Brightness – This option allows you to change the DS Lite brightness setting.
- Language – This is where you can change the system menu language (10 languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, L.A. Spanish, Portuguese and Korean).
- Boot from Slot 2 – This is where you can boot slot 2 devices such as older slot 2 flash carts and GBA games.
- Return to Main Menu – This option allows you to return back to main menu.
Some nice shortcuts to keep in mind are the following:
- Enhanced Mode – This option enables the enhanced features menu during games. This option can be enabled by simultaneously pressing the L+R+A+B+X+Y and menu will be shown during in-game menu. Must be first enabled in settings of CycloDS Evolution
- LCD Brightness – This option allows you to change the DS Lite brightness setting.
- Toggle Slowdown - This option enables you to slow down a game especially for those fast paced games.
- Realtime Save - This option was disabled.
- Realtime Load - This option was disabled.
- Return to Main Menu - This option allows you to return back to main menu.
- Return to Game - this option allows you to return back to game.
Some games actually dont work with the Enhanced Mode.
- Autoboot Mode – Hold L + R at start-up to automatically load the last game you played.
- Autoboot File – Automatically loads the file of your choosing at start-up. The file must be in the root directory and be named "autoload.nds". To bypass the Autoboot, hold X during start-up.
- Auto Boot Slot 2 – Hold Up on the digital pad during start-up and release once two white screens appear.
- Enhanced Mode - Simultaneously press A + B + X + Y + L + R in-game.
- Recovery Mode – Hold Select + Start during start-up to enter recovery mode to recover from failed firmware update.
All DS games that I have tested booted up perfectly and played fine without any lags or disruptions. Many gamers have complained about the lack of Download Play. Team Cyclops has addressed this issue and has stated that CycloDS Evolution will support Download Play and it worked perfectly.
Playing homebrew games has never been easier. Team Cyclops has implemented a automatic DLDI patcher. All you have to do is load your homebrew games like you're loading any other files whether it be games or multimedia files and let CycloDS Evolution work its magic. The patcher will never modify your file but the file is patched in the memory and will be patched everytime you load the homebrew file.
Conclusion : Overall, the CycloDS Evolution Cartridge SLOT-1 has impressed me and will probably impress a lot of gamers out there. Team Cyclops has delivered on what they said they were going to do. They are here to help with any support and questions and will listen to any suggestions or comments. The CycloDS Evolution is also the first Slot-1 device to actually support SDHC cards. If Team Cyclops keeps up the support and updates, this will probably be the best Slot-1 device for a long time to come.
Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.
Images via comments
For more information and downloads, click here!
There are 8 comments - Join In and Discuss Here